Monday, August 09, 2010

Is Humility Required to Remain Preponderant?


I often wonder what is the root of jealously so I can counter it's growth in others before it begins to blossom. I find that those whom I previously called my close friends are not even my associates anymore ever since I have began endeavoring to greater things. This separation seems sequential. As I left them behind academically and professionally, I eventually left them behind socially. Never were these things intentional but with hope to be inspirational. Now, reflecting on these things I've realized that I did influence something in my peers, just not what I had imagined; I sparked some attempts to bring me down internally.


Robert Green mentioned in one of his books to never take first place. His reason was that your subordinates will become jealous of you eventually. Through reflection I can now see how his logic is applicable. If I hid my accomplishments and allowed them to feel as though I had moved no further than them, these problems would have never occurred. Maybe that is the reason most preponderant individuals can find it increasingly easier to remain humble. My mentor, Keith Hollingsworth shared a quote with me from Angel's Game:

"....The incompetent always present themselves as experts, the cruel as pious, sinners as devout, usurers as benefactors, the small-minded as patriots, the arrogant as humble, the vulgar as elegant, and the feeble-minded as intellectual...."

It seems as if those who are in second place often pose as if they were in first place while those in first place do just the opposite. I can't attest to whether it's voluntary or if they feel it's necessary, but either way it is recognized that the highest act as if they were lowest to keep peace. As I attempt to reach such level of preeminence, I must rhetorically inquire: Is humility required to remain amongst the top?

0 ppl talkin' to me:

Post a Comment

What you say shawty?