Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Its all a mind game!


During the first few weeks that i arrived here, I jumped on a party promotion team, "The Unit". I saw it as a way for me sharpen my marketing skills while prepping for the business world. I was completely ostentatious in order to have success in this field. I felt like I had to completely come out of my element to prosper as an incumbent of this organiztion. (Charles Darwin: Survival of the Fittest ...right?) Yep I said incumbent! They made me "CEO of Freshman Class" right off the back! That showed me that they were weak, but I took this as an another opportunity to to sharpen up my managerial skills.

Whilst working hard to throw the wildest and craziest parties, I began to notice that marketers have to be innate sociologist and an in depth psychologists. Firstly they must know the culture of the group they are targeting. They must find out what do that culture has and what do they dream of possessing. (Key thing) Once they have that, they can develop a tactic. . .which is selling the culture the dream. They go more into detail about what certain instances that could happen in terms of bringing in the consumers and manipulating them.

Example: It starts with the annoying fliers. "Sex on the beach", "Candy Shop", and my favorite," $1 per article of clothing" themes on the fliers all with the concept of ladies free til 12. The girls are going to go where that can have a good time for free. . .that attracts the males because they know the dudes are going to go where the mass of females will preside for that night. They will charge the males because they know [Pussy is Power] and dudes value the affection of a woman way higher than women value a mans affection, or at least openly. [First Manipulation]. Whilst standing in line both the males and females are in line anticipating on the chance to touch each other and show off. One problem though: The line is moving soooooo sloooooow! Promoters do this for two reasons. One to conserve some of the AC and room occupancy in the building and two becuase they can are stalling til 12, so they can start charging.

Once 12 does hit, they are charging everybody!!! and everybody WILL pay because the anticipation has built up so much to get in there and join the party. [Second Manipulation]... I'm pretty sure they do a bunch more but I'm new to this clubbing thing and mind you. I'm only 17 so I don't get to see how the bar manipulates its customers.

Clubs make it seem like that 4 hour party/drinking session/smoking session is synonymous to the dream that that culture holds hard to attain. So they think they are living our that dream for 4 hours of a night, whilst taking some of the pressure off themselves from work or what not.

Yesterday I began reading this book titled "All marketers are liars". It isn't pointing fingers like the title sounds like, but it at first sells you a story that you think you are going to capture by giving you a title that misleading. They know most people are nosy and like dirt so they picked a title that would give them that temporary feeling of finding more dirt and debate topics. [got me lol] In actuality, the books talk about how society values "stories" (that are the basically the same as that dream above) that are in correlation to a dream that they would like to attain, temporarily. He used the example of a lady in the shoe store. She tries on that shoe, imagines herself looking exquisite in them and pays $120 for that dream capturing.

With the Party and Shoe scenarios, it brings me back to my sociology class. We've just gotten done talking about the 3 main perspectives of society.
  1. Functionalism- Everything plays a role that is equally significant in society. Without one thing, another couldn't function properly. Every small aspect contributes to the bigger picture.


  2. Conf;ict Theory- The rich exploit the poor and brainwash them to think that the money they have to offer is better than the goods that are produced. Basically, Capitalism. Karl Marx was the first.

  3. Symbolic Interaction- Society revolves around values. The different values that people hold on the tangibles and intangibles shape the society.
. . . .Guess What approach I'm taking on this marketing thing. Marketers know what you value!! So they manipulate your psych and your funds by selling a false representation of the real. The same thing that Facebook users do! Never talk to anyone via internet because they are only giving you the best side of them and not themselves as a whole.

In order to prosper in this highly competitive "dog eat dog" market we reside in , you must determine your values and prioritize them. Know that the mass doesn't have their shit together so the crowd will continue be manipulated. There will be a butt load of times where you will be alone in doing what you need to do. That's fine. Allow me to say that ALL dreams/stories aren't worthy to be attained, but that's up to your intellect and values to decide. You can be fashionable and shop smart ( I love thrift stores!). Do your self and your future the favor of determining whats important to you know and i promise you will be one of the few that aren't manipulated by society.

Here are some pix to one of my parties. It was crazy that night!

This has been a Bean Boy PSA

2 ppl talkin' to me:

khalfani℠ said...

it's like nobody wanna live they life
they just wanna re-enact the same scene every night .
everybody sells fantasies no matter what the price like . . . " i'll love you forever , but forever ends tonight " - little brother - the afterparty

'Kalos' said...

Oh shit...your brother tried to put me on it but I shunned it. I may just have to give in

Post a Comment

What you say shawty?