Monday, November 23, 2009

Spanish or Chinese?



Can anybody drive a Jeff?...I need some steering right about now. Right now everyone is dying to register for their classes and suit themselves in the best position to make the best our of next semester. Not me... I'm being as strategic as possible. With that, I must take a foreign language.

The U.S. Census Bureau says that currently Hispanics occupy 14% of Americas population; by the year 2050 that will increase by 10%. Meaning America has a rapidly growing Hispanic population.

Apart from that, China is becoming a global monopoly. It seems as if in the business world going global is the equivalent to getting a doctorate while just being national is a mere high school degree.

With the Hispanic population rapidly growing and China's hegemony growing just as fast, who's culture should I embrace? Which foreign language should I take up?

2 ppl talkin' to me:

Ife Madzimoyo said...

That's a good question. I think it depends on what you're going to do with it. I, personally - for my own reasons - would take Spanish, because a lot of diasporic Africans speak Spanish, and I'm interested in studying and working with the African diaspora. Of course, for you, it could be completely different. What are you planning to do with your studies/degree/career once you learn the language? Which language would help you do that more?

'Kalos' said...

Well I am a Business Marketing Major Ife. With that, I plan to either do Marketing Globally or do some management consulting in America. If I take the Marketing route, Chinese would suit me more but if I stay in America doing Management consulting--of course Spanish would suit me better. What has persuaded me to go ahead take Chinese is the rarity it has amongst my counterparts.

. . .Thanks for the Help though =)

Post a Comment

What you say shawty?