Sunday, March 07, 2010

Am I Wrong?

Dilemma: I'm sick of church. I've been going to the same church every Sunday since birth. Often times I'd wake up to the sweet scent of my grandmothers cooking and my mother's quarrelsome interrogation of my little brother. It was no paradise but more like a faith's thanatorium: a place where my faith was slowly dying. My grandmother and mother of served as a catalyst to my faith's death as they often threatened me as a child to either "go to church or get out" their house. As time passed I went to church out of routine only to please my grandmother and help her show the little ones that church is the way.

Well now 18 years in the hole I've been diligently and regrettably fighting with myself to leave church for a while and find a religion that's lucrative to my desires. I've been wanting to say something to my pastor and family but I didn't want to hurt them or the progression of the church (cause I am instrumental in the audio ministry). So now this mornig my co-worker in the sound booth tells me of her resignation and I blew up implosively. I know that all the responsibilies will fall upon me and that will require more time, energy, and effort that I'm not motivated enough to produce. I feel that I need to tell them to find a replacement for me now. If I wait then y hole will only dig deeper. However, my only problem with that is I have a notion that quitting is only justified through a contingency. Seth Codin asserts in his book, The Dip, that "proactive quitting is permissable but reactive quitting is intolerable."

This is sinful and cowardly quitting that I'm contemplating but if I don't quit now when will I get a chance to escape?

What would you do?

4 ppl talkin' to me:

Donielle K. said...

if you don't feel like you belong somewhere, then go where you want to go. your 18, your not obligated to be under your parents ( unless your living under their house ) i have the same feeling about church, i just think the ppl are hypocrites and i don't associate myself with them. but the point is...DO YOU. not anybody else's

Dr.Quest said...

I kinda hear what u saying bruh! I know that church has been a important concept in my life and my family's life. But sometimes I don't feel like going because its not MY choice! I was either told or forced to go. Its not that I don't enjoy it when I'm there! It's just not being able to make my own decision to go that gets me. As a result, it gets difficult each Sunday to be in attendance...Am I wrong? At the end of the day I know I need my faith to make it through anything! But do what YOU feel is best for you. This going to be a interesting convo with the family,lol. I'm pretty sure u will keep us updated!

'Kalos' said...

Thanks guys..I will definitley keep you all posted...wish me luck!

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel and we've talked about this whole religion question before. I would talk to your pastor if you have that kind of relationship with him and question him. Explain to him the situation. See how he responds... I've already done this and gotten a response but i think its important to see how people, like pastors, respond when questioned about holes in their faith.

Post a Comment

What you say shawty?