Thursday, May 06, 2010

Apparently Philosophy and Nature Don't Mix

I have a new found love for nature. Today after I beasted my Pre-Calc final, I decided to stroll off to the library and lose myself in the philosophy section. Well, I came across the "cooperative inquiry" between Socrates and Theatetus about perception is knowledge  in Plato's Theory of Knowledge.

I find that surely enough that is true. However the author, Francis Cornford, attempts to corroborate this truth by bringing about an theory of Protaguras. Protaguras believed that men are the measure of all things (I find the explanation of this to be easy to attain through a wee bit of brainstorming. If you can't understand, google it). I do not agree. Men are the measure of all things comprehendible to man. Simply put,  this is man's world only to man (no reference to gender).  I feel as though the author opposed his intent upon reference to Protaguras. He earlier quoted Protaguras stating "Knowledge is to me as it appears to me and to you as it appears to you." Well how is man measurer of all things when man has no accessibility to the comraderie to things unseen to man?

Whosoever said that trees don't converse between each other? Who was it that stated that armadillos didn't throw the wildest ass parties in the desert? Who was that said that mice didn't mate with cows? Please point out the guy who deemed other animals dumber or less competent than humans; for he has proven himself mighty incompetent through his lack of consideration and neglect to thorough excogitation. For all we know, we may have be purposely blocked from the genuine communion and total interaction with other species as a defense mechanism. They may not want humans to know anything because humans have only manipulated their beings for the advancements of humans alone thus far.

I have a new found respect and appreciation for nature and other species. I don't think it was fair for Protaguras to assert this and for Cornford to later promulgate this. I surely wish that both were alive so I could engage in "cooperative inquiry" to help these guys arrive at a better truth.

0 ppl talkin' to me:

Post a Comment

What you say shawty?