Saturday, August 01, 2009

Allow Randy to make you [Randy]

Say the second "Randy" in the voice of Austin Powers. I thought it was pretty funny, considering the situation. lol =)


Before I begin I must tell you the story behind this man's legacy. While watching this video, you would think Randy Pausch sustains his sanity by being a temporary bablatrice. You would think He is just using the microphone to level himself off of a previous sugar rush he had backstage. But oh the contrary, this man has 10 tumors in his liver and only has 5 more months to live. (Well he's actually deceased now - Summer 2008 he passed) He is dying for god sakes! Happily! Who does that? Randy does. He uses the whole theme of attaining your childhood dreams but has an underlying message he is getting across. Many of them. The whole lesson is a "Head Fake" as he would say because he strongly believes that people learn best indirectly. They will grasp the concept of what your conveying to them better if you walk it in behind a decoy.

His head fake has taught me this:

  • Never let someone confine you to a status, goal, or even aspiration. Never let anyone put a cap on what you want to do. You are the author of your book. He explains it as "Brick walls let us show our determination. They are there to distinguish the people with a ton of determination from the people with tin can of determination." So whatever you want in life, the way you go about attaining it is determined by your determination. For me my determination paid off in my matriculation into my dream school, Morehouse College. Seeing as though they first rejected me when I applied, I can tell you the true value in not letting "brick walls" define you as you embark on your journey into YOUR future!
  • Secondly, when advice, feedback or input is given to you, swallow it and allow it to digest into your daily life. Pausch asserted "Anybody can get chewed out, but who actually listens." When people give your feedback...cherish it and use it!
  • Lastly, In compliance to the aforementioned points, be prepared. He stated "Luck is when preparation meets opportunity." And i understand that thoroughly. In fact on my business cards I have a quote that states "An opportunity of a life time should be seized in the lifetime of that opportunity."...I think that speaks for itself.

Randy Pausch compelled me to go after my dreams twice. Tis lecture is rather extensive but its more enlightening. I challenge all of you to allow it to persuade you to be a better you. Indulge yourself in it, then allow it to thrive you. This is a dead man’s last words....it has to be the most significant life lessons he's accumulated in his lifespan. Take heed.

1 ppl talkin' to me:

Ms. T said...

Yes FB is consuming and takes up alot of ppls time, some PEOPLE post like every hour, I can get down with twitter, why would I wannaknow what someones doing every hour of the day except my kids when i get some loll

Become a follower of my blog
www.avalleyofhearts.blogspot.com

Thanks Ms. T

Post a Comment

What you say shawty?