Friday, January 22, 2010

Could Technology Be the New Method of Subordination?




Is technology new way of racism?  Joz Wang noticed this when her face detection Nikkon camera displayed  "Did someone blink?" anytime she took a picture. ironically, none of her friends who weren't in her same ethnicity group experienced this. A black employee at an RV dealership experienced this when her co-worker's HP laptop camera cut off whenever she entered in the screen. Hp quickly responded to say that they attempt to make the products more effective for all of their consumers but a couple well known technology experts say that this type of malfunctioning could easily be fixed before they hit the market. So are these malfunctions rooted by laziness or ignorance?

My high school football coach used to combats our jokes about his declination towards technology saying that the owners of these companies were racist white men who were only looking to innovate the practice of racism. We'd always blow it off and label him a deranged old man with a bad past, but this type of information leads me to question how valid his statements were. I'm just saying...is technology covertly being used as a method of racism?

Hip Hop has already been proven to be a method to sustain the subordination of Blacks. I wonder if technology is the way to subordinate Blacks and Asians? It seems as if the pattern is to find what that thnic group loves and highly uses then turn it into a tool that has hidden detriments towards that same group. So I pose another question, if it is seeming as if whites have this propensity to subordinate other groups, how can these other groups create an inverted affect to this practice?

2 ppl talkin' to me:

Just Another Black Man Out Here Trying Not To Be A Statistic said...

I've always thought that. Most technological services and products are developed to work to the perfect benefit of the average european male

I can give you one example is voice recognition technology. I know I have an heavy accent being from the south, but whenever I call to check my bank account I have to still use touch tone services. It doesn't matter I put on my professional voice or not. There are other telephone services that are like that. It's interesting that one of my former professor's Cadillac DTS can understand every word I say. I would attribute to corporations not making their products for other ethnic groups in the first place, which leads to racism, bigotry, or however you would like coin it.

Malls said...

I go through the same thing with voice recognition as well bro...this "racism" I think can be very well be reversed by first removing this conventional oblivion to these methods of subordination...what you think man?

Post a Comment

What you say shawty?