Tuesday, January 19, 2010

MLK: Still of Compelling Apposition

"It is one thing to tell a man to pull himself up by his bootstraps but it is another to tell a bootless man to pull himself up that way."  ~ MLK


Today in freshman Orientation we watched a clip of one of MLK's speeches. As expected, it was rather touching to hear his compelling combination of mean metaphors and awesome alliteration. It was even more touching to see how apposite his words could still be in the lives of people of all color today. MLK talked much about character and not so much about criticism; about introspection not so much about retaliation. Today I heard some much needed advice. I honestly feel the key to success is to be cynical-- and I'll post something about it soon--  but after hearing the aforementioned quote, A different perspective must be considered. I always try to "consider before I critique" by putting myself in another's shoes. I am often harsh in my understanding for if I see a way that a person could have avoided the situation, I showw no remorse or sympathy. Its every man for himself at that point. However, I shall be more considerate of not only the situation one must perambulate but also  the cultural capital that one has endured. For if that person hasn't gained an anylitical mindset or a persevering persona then maybe the loopholes that I see remain in oblivion to that person. With that, I vow to be even more considerate hence forth.

0 ppl talkin' to me:

Post a Comment

What you say shawty?