Saturday, December 12, 2009

Just Quit It!!


Cultural Capital has always taught me that quitting is a punk’s way out. Recently I’ve found a book that discredits this notion. It’s called The Dip by Seth Codin (Great Author).


The Dip is the long slog between igniting a craft and mastering a craft. Often times we find ourselves starting something and it’s exiting and beneficial, but after some time it gets banal and desiccated. This is the dip, when you find yourself having a slower production rate than when you first start off.. However, the Dip is not to be avoided because it produces value by engendering scarcity. Very few people make it out the dip because many lack the heart to persevere….most will quit in the dip.


Seth Codin says one shouldn’t quit in the dip…but rather quit before starting the task that has the dip, jumping into a “Cliff”, or cruising a “Cul-de-sac”. (those are hard to explain). He says there is a difference between strategic quitting and reactive quitting. Strategic is permissible. Strategic quitting is being able foresee the opportunity cost of a venture and deciding that it’s not worth the time and effort before getting too deep into the venture. Reactive Quitting is deciding that you don’t want to indulge yourself in the venture anymore because its beginning to take its toll on you. Reactive quitting is the one that will never be respected or accepted.


I think If I would have caught on to this bit of advice sooner, I would be a much happier person today. I was always told “Never Quit”…but if I were told “Never quit something with great long-term potential just because you cant deal with the stress of the moment” maybe I would be a much better decision maker. I hope I helped you guys out with a summary of the book…If not GO GET IT!! (It’s only 80 pages)

0 ppl talkin' to me:

Post a Comment

What you say shawty?